Most Active Stories
Fri April 18, 2014
Food Critics: Kansas City's Best Lunch Spots
It's not uncommon for Americans to work through lunch, thoughtlessly scarfing down sustenance at a desk or —worse — in a car.
But at its best, lunch can be a time to unwind and savor the moment, getting out in the city while nourishing body and soul.
Some Kansas Citians are keeping the mid-day meal alive in all its glory. Hosted by Charles Ferruzza, KCUR's food critics led a search for exquisite lunch experiences in Kansas City on Friday.
Here are some of their recommendations:
- Beautiful pastries and breads, ham and Swiss on baguette, chicken salad sandwich, creamy artichoke soup — Sasha's Baking Company, 105 West 9th St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Michael Smith, 1900 Main St.
- Fish tacos, reuben sandwich — Cafe Sebastienne, 4420 Warwick Blvd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Small plates —Extra Virgin, 1900 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Gennessee Royale, 1531 Gennessee St., Kansas City, Mo.
- The Mixx, 4855 Main St. and 1347 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Kale salad with brussel slaw and bacon — Westside Local, 1633 Summit, Kansas City, Mo.
- Burgers and salmon sandwich, truffle fries — Blanc Burger, 4120 Pennsylvania Ave., Kansas City, Mo.
- Cafe Europa, 323 East 55th St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Eggplant fries — Remedy, 500 W. 75th St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Make it a Mia lunch special — Spin Pizza, multiple locations
- Family-owned diner —Home Skillet, 6225 Blue Ridge Blvd., Raytown, Mo.
- El Pollo Rey, 901 Kansas Ave., Kansas City, Kan.
- Great tortillas and tacos — San Antonio Market, 830 Kansas Ave., Kansas City, Kan.
- Two-course lunch special — Capital Grille, 4740 Jefferson, Kansas City, Mo.
- Cuban sandwich — Succotash, 2601 Holmes St., Kansas City, Mo.
Here are some recommendations from listeners:
- Lunch specials — Lulu's Thai Noodle Shop
- Terrific meatballs, some of best sandwiches in Kansas City — Pandolfi's Deli, 538 Campbell, Kansas City, Mo.
- French Market, Cafe Provence, 3936 W. 69th Terrace, Prairie Village, Kan.
- Service, tapas de dia, good flavor and good value — La Bodega, 703 Southwest Blvd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Something different every day, very fresh — Bloomsbury Bistro at Mission Road Antique Mall, 4101 West 83rd Street, Prairie Village, Kan.
- Authentic Chinese buffet, especially on Sunday — Fortune Star, 7328 West 119th Street, Overland Park, Kan.
- Coconut soup — Majaraja, 1216 N.W. Highway 7, Blue Springs, Mo.
- Citrus crunch taco — Unforked, 7337 West 119th Street, Overland Park, Kan.
- Fresh and delicious Egyptian food — Basha, 7016 W. 105th Street, Overland Park, Kan.
- Burgers are lean, salmon BLT, cobb salad — Majestic Restaurant, 931 Broadway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Pizza — The Other Place, 7324 W. 80th Street, Overland Park, Kan.
- Local Pig, 2618 Guinotte Ave., Kansas City, Mo.
Here are some new and noteworthy restaurants from the critics:
- Midtown Heart Stopper & Barrel 31 burgers, Pork Belly with Bourbon Maple Glaze, Bloody Mary Oyster Shooters, Edamame — Barrel 31, 400 E. 31st St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Outdoor seating now available — Novel, 815 W. 17th St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Lunch by culinary students (porkloin, flat-iron steak) — L'Ecole Culinaire, 310 Ward Parkway, Kansas City, Mo.
- 40th Anniversary Chef Series — American Restaurant, 25 East 25th Street, Kansas City, Mo.
- Farm table dinner seats going on sale soon — Green Dirt Farm, Weston, Mo.
- New Asian restaurant — Sakae Sushi, 6325 Lewis Street, Parkville, Mo.
- Preservation Market in Bridgers Bottle Shop, 510 Westport Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Shuttlecork benefit events, May 8-9 — Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, 4525 Oak St., Kansas City, Mo.
Central Standard Friday
Central Standard Friday