Mon June 2, 2014
Food Critics: Best Cheese Spots In Kansas City
It’s difficult to imagine a life without cheese.
We eat our cheese grilled, deep-fried, cubed, shredded, baked in pastry and whipped into a tiramisu.
On Friday's Central Standard, the food critics explored the cheeses of the Kansas City region, from Asiago to Velveeta and everything in between.
Here are their recommendations:
- Green Dirt Farm, a source for fresh cheeses
- Bluestem, Michael Smith, The American are all places with notable cheese plates
- Port Fonda was shared as a good queso fundido
- One caller suggested English cheddar with Italian truffles as a great cheese to try. It can be found at most Trader Joe's grocery stores
- Winstead’s, a great place to grab a grilled cheese on rye
- Town Topic, a source for cheese omelets
- Tannin Wine Bar
- Accurso's was mentioned for their cheesecake
- The Better Cheddar is a source for a variety of cheeses
- Lidia’s Kansas City has notable frico
- Extra Virgin was noted for its poblano mac & cheese
- Minsky’s was suggested for its baked cream cheese and pesto
- Chaz on the Plaza has a unique brie macaroni and cheese
- Beer Kitchen was mentioned for its option to build your own mac & cheese
- Mediterranean Market in City Market, was recommended for its halloumi
New and noteworthy restaurants:
- Q39, 1000 W. 39th St., Kansas City, Mo.
- The American, 200 E. 25th St., Suite 400, · Kansas City, Mo. — while it's not a new restaurant it was mentioned for Paige Unger, formerly of Extra Virgin, who is now at The American making her award wining cocktail The Beet Goes On
- Bridger's Bottle Shop, 510 Westport Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Story, 3931 W. 69th Terrace, Prairie Village, Kan.
- Webster House, 1644 Wyandotte St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Chai Shai, 651 E. 59th St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Chop House Pig & Finch, 11616 Ash St., Leawood, Kan.
- 801 Fish, 11615 Rosewood St., Leawood, Kan.
- Pin Stripes, 601 W. 48th St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Hobo’s Grill and Bar, 1036 N Agnes Ave, Kansas City, MO 64120
- KoZak’s Laketown Grill, 1018 U.S. Highway 169, Smithville, Mo.
- Johnny Jo’s Pizzeria, 1209 W. 47th St., Kansas City, Mo.
Harvest Public Media
Up To Date