Most Active Stories
- Portraits And Party Scenes From Kansas City's Drag Ball Culture Revealed
- Blue Valley High Lost A 'Star In The Making'
- Music In The '90s: Was There A 'KC Sound'?
- Preschool Trauma Program In Kansas City Getting National Attention
- Kansas City Grocer's Hand-Painted Signs Are A Lost Art In The Modern Age
Up To Date
Tue December 10, 2013
The Book Doctors: Best Reads Of 2013
With winter weather stinging the metro area, now is the perfect time to curl up on the couch and read a good book.
Tuesday on Up to Date, the Book Doctors return with their picks for the best books of 2013. We dive into tales about extreme weather - and we don’t mean what is outside your house right now.
Jeffrey Ann Goudie:
- Book of Ages by Jill Lepore
- The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan
- Mary Coin by Marisa Silver
- S. by J.J. Abrams
- Visitation Street by Ivy Pochoda
- The Dinner by Herman Koch
- Five Days at Memorial by Sheri Fink
- The Unwinding: An Inner History of the New America by George Packer
- The Maid's Version by Daniel Woodrell
- Tenth of December by George Sanders
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
- Richard Diebenkorn: Abstractions on Paper, edited by Bart Schneider
- Lullaby (with Exit Sign) by Hadara Bar-Nadav
- Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking: A Memoir of Food and Longing by Anya Von Bremzen
- Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan
- The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- The World Until Yesterday: What Can We Learn from Traditional Societies? by Jared Diamond
- Voices in Bronze and Stone: Kansas City's World War I Monuments and Memorials by James J. Heiman
- Vicious by V. E. Schwab
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel by Neil Gaiman
- Vanished: The Sixty-Year Search for the Missing Men of World War II by Wil S. Hylton
- The Aviators: Eddie Rickenbacker, Jimmy Doolittle, Charles Lindbergh, and the Epic Age of Flight by Winston Groom
- Son by Lois Lowry
- The Holy or the Broken: Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley, and the Unlikely Ascent of "Hallelujah" by Alan Light
- Life After Life: A Novel by Kate Atkinson
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- The Presidents Club: Inside the World's Most Exclusive Fraternity by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy
- Hitler's Furies: German Women in the Nazi Killing Fields by Wendy Lower
- Jeffrey Ann Goudie is a freelance writer and book reviewer whose reviews have appeared in the Kansas City Star, the New York Times Book Review and the Women’s Review of Books. A former newspaper columnist, she also publishes commentary in the Huffington Post and writes profiles for Topeka Magazine.
- Kaite Stover is the Director of Reader Services for Kansas City Public Library. She is the co-editor of The Readers Advisors' Handbook and leads the KCPL/Kansas City Star FYI Book Club.
- Steve Paul has been a writer and editor at The Kansas City Star since 1975, including a long stint as book review editor. Currently serves on the Star's editorial board.
Up to Date
Up to Date