Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- How The Royals Chose Between Two Of The Coolest Songs Ever
- Here Are The Prophetic Lyrics To Viral 'Royals' Parody Song
- The Story Behind The 'Royal' Newspaper Every Kansas Citian Will Save
- KU Hospital: Patient Admitted Monday At 'Low To Moderate Risk' Of Ebola
- How One Royals Fan Is Sprinkling A Little Magic On Kauffman Stadium
Laura Spencer caught the radio bug more than a decade ago when she was asked to read a newscast on the air on her first day volunteering for KOOP, the community radio station in Austin, Texas.
After moving home to Kansas City, she learned the fine art of editing reel-to-reel tape as an intern and graduate assistant with the nationally syndicated literary program New Letters on the Air. Since 2001, she's focused her efforts on writing and producing feature stories as KCUR's Arts Reporter.
In 2011, Laura was one of 21 journalists selected for USC Annenberg’s seventh National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) Arts Journalism Institute in Theater and Musical Theater. She's received awards from the Associated Press, Kansas City Art Institute (Excellence in Visual Art and Education), Kansas City Association of Black Journalists, Missouri Broadcasters Association, Radio-Television News Directors Association (regional Edward R. Murrow Award) and Society for Professional Journalists.